Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Groups 30 - 48


[Badges]

No 30 Group

It was originally formed in August 1918 in Salonika as No 30 (Operational) Group under the control of HQ RAF Middle East, taking over 16th Wing at the same time, itself being reduced to No 16 (Corps) Wing on 7 April 1919.

It reformed at 33/34 Tavistock Place, London WC 1 on 17 March 1937 as No 30 (Balloon Barrage) Group in Fighter Command.  On 8 October 1937 it moved to Kelvin House, Cleveland Street, London and was transferred to Balloon Command when it formed on 1 November 1938.  It moved to Hook, Surrey on 4 October 1941 and disbanded on 7 January 1945.

Air Officers Commanding

xx Aug 1918         ?

7 Apr 1919 - 17 Mar 1937    Disbanded

 1 May 1937         A/Cdre J G Hearson (Ret’d)

 1  Nov 1939        Gp Capt W J Y Guilfoyle

 1 Jul 1941            A/Cdre W C C Gell

 1 Feb 1944:         A/Cdre P L Lincoln

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 31 Group

It formed in August 1918 in Mesopotamia as No 31 (Operational) Group under HQ RAF Middle East, taking over 31st Wing and disbanded in April 1919.

It reformed at Kelvin House, Cleveland Street, London W1 on 1 April 1939 as No 31 (Balloon Barrage) Group in Balloon Command.  On 1 May 1939 it moved to 176 Broad Street, Birmingham 15 and on 1 September 1939 to Forhill House, King's Norton, Birmingham, where it disbanded on 13 November 1941.

Air Officers Commanding

xx Aug 1918         ?

Apr 1919 - 1 Apr 1939    Disbanded

xx xxx 1939         A/Cdre R F S Morton RAFO

xx Jan 1940         A/Cdre J C Quinnell

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 32 (Balloon Barrage) Group

It formed at Kelvin House, Cleveland Street, London, W1 on 1 March 1939 in Balloon Command before moving to Commercial Chambers, Nos1-13 Commercial Road, Portsmouth on 15 May 1939.  On 22 June 1940 it moved to Harefield House, Winchester Rd, Romsey, Hampshire and then on 10 November 1941 to Claverton Manor, Claverton, near Bath, Somerset, where it disbanded on 15 November 1944.

Air Officers Commanding

1939 - 40           A/Cdre B C H Drew (Ret’d)

23 Jan 1940       A/Cdre A A Walser

15 Dec 1941      A/Cdre C J R Turner 

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 33 (Balloon Barrage) Group

It formed at Kelvin House, Cleveland Street, London, W1 on 1 March 1939 in Balloon Command, before moving to No 3 Windsor Terrace, Newcastle-upon-Tyne on 22 May 1939.    On 3 April 1940 it moved again, this time to Newlands House, Beverley Rd, Kingston-upon-Hull, assuming executive control on 7 April, but on 4 July moved yet again, to Parkhead House, Parkhead. Sheffield 11, where it disbanded on 4 September 1944.

Air Officers Commanding

1939                 A/Cdre H R Busteed RAFO (Ret’d)

19 Feb 1940     A/Cdre S W Smith

15 Aug 1941    A/Cdre J G Murray

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 34 (Balloon Barrage) Group

Formed 7 Apr 1940 in Balloon Command, it was initially attached No 33 Group at No 3 Windsor Terrace, Newcastle-upon-Tyne to control Nos 18 and 19 Balloon Centres and No.950 Sqn.  On 15 May 1940 it moved to Tor House, Corstorphine Road, Edinburgh until it disbanded into No 33 Group on 19 July 1943.

 Air Officers Commanding

1 Mar 1940              A/Cdre H R Busteed (Ret'd)

 1 Aug 1941              A/Cdre P L Lincoln

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 38 Group

It was formed at Netheravon on 11 Oct 1943 as No 38 (Airborne Force) Group within Fighter Command, from No 38 Wing but was transferred to HQ AEAF on 15 November 1943 and then to ADGB on 10 January 1944.  On 12 October 1944 it moved to Marks Hall, Colchester and on 1 June 1945 was transferred to Transport Command.  Retain as part of the post-war RAF it moved to Upavon on 7 May 1946, where it disbanded on 1 February 1951.

It reformed at Upavon on 1 January 1960 as No 38 (Air Support) Group within Transport Command, moving to Odiham on 17 May, where it remained until 15 May 1972 when it moved to Benson.  With the disbandment of Transport Command on 1 July 1972, it was transferred to the control of Strike Command.  On 10 November 1975 it returned to Upavon and absorbed No 46 Group but disbanded on 17 November 1983, being merged into No 1 Group.

It reformed, once again on 1 November 1992, this time at High Wycombe, taking over the air transport and air-to-air refuelling resources of No 1 Group.  On 21 April 1995 the post of AOC was twinned with that of SASO, Strike Command, but it disbanded again on 1 April 2000.

It reformed, again, in July 2014 to control a variety of units in the roles of Communication, Logistics and Combat Support, Air Mobility and Medical Operations.

Air Officers Commanding (No 38 Wing shown for clarity)

15 Jan 1942             A/Cdre Sir Nigel Norman

xx May 1943           A/Cdre W H Primrose

 6 Oct 1943            AVM L N Hollinghurst

18 Oct 1944            AVM J R Scarlett-Streatfield

xx May 1945           ?

31 Jul 1945:             AVM R Ivelaw-Chapman

1946 - 48                AVM A L Fiddment

17 Jan 1948             AVM A C H Sharp

25 Jan 1950             AVM E J Kingston-McClaughry

1 Feb 1951 - 1 Jan 1960    Disbanded

1 Jan 1960              AVM P G Wykeham

27Jul 1962              AVM T W Piper

1 Jan 1965              AVM L D Mavor

1 Mar 1966             AVM P C Fletcher

1 Aug 1967             AVM H B Martin

24 Jun 1970             AVM D Crowley-Milling

21 Feb 1972            AVM F S Hazlewood

  2 Nov 1974           AVM P G K Williamson

10 Dec 1977            AVM J A Gilbert

27 Feb 1980            AVM D P Hall

1984 - 85                 AVM D Parry-Evans

17 Nov 1983 - 1 Nov 1992    Disbanded

1 Nov 1992              No appointment (SASO Strike Command acting as AOC - AVM P T Squire)

15 Jan 1993              AVM J A G May

xx xxx 1994              AVM D Cousins

21 Apr 1995             AVM D A Hurrell

30 Jan 1998              AVM P O Sturley

 1 Apr 2000 - xx Jul 2014    Disbanded

xx Jul 2014              AVM T L J Bishop

16 Jun 2016            AVM S C Gray

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 40 (Maintenance) Group

It was formed as an Equipment Group at No.81 Weyhill Road, Andover on 3 January 1939 in Maintenance Command, assuming executive control on 15 March, responsible for all equipment except bombs and explosives.  On 31 August 1939 it moved to Caldicott House, Caldicott Road, Abingdon, then to RAF Ramridge, Weyhill, Abingdon, on 1 June 1944, with a detachment at Lyneham being formed on 15 August.   Retained as part of the post-war RAF organisation it moved to Bicester in February 1947, absorbing  No 42 Group on 2 January 1956 and then moving to Newton on 31 March 1957, where it disbanded on 28 July 1961.

Air Officers Commanding

 Disbanded 28.7.61

27 Mar 1939          Gp Capt T G Skeats (SOA)

 1 May 1939           A/Cdre R W Thomas

 9 May 1940          A/Cdre - AVM W B Cushion

25 Aug 1941          AVM E W Havers

 1 Dec 1945           AVM W J B Curtis

18 May 1949         AVM L J V Bates

10 Jun 1952           AVM H D Jackman

17 Aug 1955          AVM G L Worthington

17 Feb 1958          AVM E N Lowe

1961                     Acting AVM V H B Roth

For a more detailed account of the work of this group in WW2 and for listings of units and personnel controlled by it go to the Members' Area

 

No 41 (Maintenance) Group

This was formed as an Aircraft Group at No.81 Weyhill Road, Andover on 1 January 1939 in Maintenance Command, assuming executive control on 3 April. On 1 January 1940 it became responsible for the supply and allocation of aircraft from ASUs to flying units and on 1 February it also took over the allotment of non-effective aircraft, other than as a result of an accident, which were beyond repair Retained as part of the post-war RAF organisation it moved to RAF Andover on 21 December 1946, absorbing  No 43 Group on 2 January 1956 and disbanding on 21 July 1961.

Air Officers Commanding

1 Apr 1939         Gp Capt R J Mounsey (SOA)

10 Jul 1939         Gp Capt E J D Townesend (reverted to SOA)

28 Jul 1939         A/Cdre-AVM G Laing

 1 Jan 1945:        AVM G D Daly

1946 - 48            AVM C W Weedon

1 Nov 1948         AVM H J Roach

6 Nov 1950         AVM H G White

5 Feb 1953          AVM G Combe

12 Apr 1955        AVM R G Hart

10 Sep 1956        AVM W A Opie

4 May 1959         AVM J D Baker-Carr

For a more detailed account of the work of this group in WW2 and for listings of units and personnel controlled by it go to the Members' Area

 

No 42 (Maintenance) Group

It was formed as an Ammunition and Fuel Group at 81 Weyhill Road. Andover on 1 Jan 1939 in Maintenance Command, assuming executive control on 17 April.  On 4 September 1939 it moved to "Highwoods", Burghfield Common, near Reading, from where it controlled the supply of ammunition and fuel to the RAF throughout WW2.  Retained as part of the post-war RAF organisation it moved to Kidlington on 18 March 1946, disbanding on 2 Jan 1956 when it was absorbed into No 40 Group.

Air Officers Commanding

20 Apr 1939        Gp Capt T Fawdrey

29 Aug 1939:       A/Cdre A W Bigsworth

22 Apr 1940        A/Cdre - AVM J A Stone

24 Nov 1945       A/Cdre T G Bowler

1947 - 49            AVM E C Farman

7 Mar 1949         A/Cdre C W Gore

1 Jan 1951          A/Cdre J Marson

5 Feb 1953         A/Cdre G L Worthington

1955                   A/Cdre R C Storrar

For a more detailed account of the work of this group in WW2 and for listings of units and personnel controlled by it go to the Members' Area

 

No 43 (Maintenance) Group

It was Formed as a Repair and Salvage Group at 81 Weyhill Road. ANDOVER on 1 Jan 1939 in Maintenance Command., assuming responsibility on 3 Sep 1939 for salvage of aircraft and equipment.  In May 1940, control was transferred to the Ministry of Aircraft Production and on 6 October it moved to Morris Motor Works, Cowley, Oxford.  On 5 November 1940 a sub-unit, No.43 Group (Salvage) was set up at Merton College Oxford but this sub-unit remerged with the main Group on 1 February 1941 at Magdalen College.  It moved to Old Church Lane, Stanmore on 1 May 1945 being retained as part of the post-war RAF organisation, moving to Hucknall on 28 June 1947, where it disbanded on 2 Jan 1956 when it was absorbed into No 41 Group.

Air Officers Commanding

20 Nov 1940          A/Cdre - AVM K M St C G Leask

 1 Feb 1944            AVM E J Cuckney

xx xxx 1945            Vacant 

18 Feb 1946           AVM T A Wawne-Browne

1947 - 48               AVM H J Roach

1 Nov 1948            AVM H G White

30 Jun 1950            A/Cdre H H Chapman

10 Jan 1952            A/Cdre A F Hutton

1 Dec 1952             A/Cdre F G S Mitchell

17 Feb 1955           A/Cdre L P Moore

For a more detailed account of the work of this group in WW2 and for listings of units and personnel controlled by it go to the Members' Area

 

No 44 (Ferry Service) Group

It was formed at Eastern Avenue, Barnwood, Gloucester on 15 August 1941 from Overseas Air Movements Control Unit within Ferry Command and was transferred to Transport Command on its formation on 25 March 1943.  By this time it controlled all non-operational aircraft approaching or leaving the UK to the south or west for a distance of approximately 1,000 miles, as well as Nos.24, 271, 510  and 511 Squadrons.  It was also responsible for ferrying single-engined aircraft to the Mediterranean, finally disbanding into No 46 Group on 14 August 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

15 Aug 1941           AVM E J Kingston-McClaughry

23 Dec 1944           AVM G R Beamish

1945 - 46                AVM L T Pankhurst

 8 Feb 1946             A/Cdre H L Patch

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 45 Group

This was formed at Dorval in Canada on 1 April 1943 as No 45 (Atlantic Transport) Group from RAF Ferry Command.  It had been redesignated No 45 (Transport) Group by June 1944 and was transferred to Coastal Command on 1 January 1946, finally being reduced to Wing status as No 45 Wing on 15 February 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

 1 Apr 1943            AVM R L G Marix

xx xxx 1944             AVM G R Beamish

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 46 (Transport) Group

It was formed at Uxbridge Road, Stanmore on 17 January 1944 in Transport Command.  An Advanced HQ was formed at Netheravon in February and in April the Main HQ moved to Bushey Hall Hotel, Bushey, near Watford, Hertfordshire.  On 30 June 1945 an Advance Party moved to St Germain-en-Laye, by which time the Main HQ was located at Dinton House, Vicarage, Hatch End with detachments at 'Walders', Harrow Weald and 'Cedars'. Uxbridge Road, Harrow but on 20 August it reassembled at Bushey Hall Hotel.  Remaining in existence post-war it moved to Manston on 30 July 1946, absorbing No 44 Group the following month.  Throughout this post-war period an Advanced HQ had remained on the continent, under the control of BAFO but on 1 December 1948, the Advanced HQ became HQ No 46 Group, leaving a Rear HQ in the UK.  Around this time it moved to Buckeburg but with the Berlin Airlift (Operation Plainfare) beginning, it moved to Luneburg on 14 March 1949 but disbanded there on 15 October.

It reformed at Abingdon on 1 Nov 1949 by renaming No 47 (Transport) Group but disbanded again on 31 March 1950.

It reformed again on 1 September 1972 at Upavon as No 46 (Strategic Support) Group within Strike Command to take over the transport role of Air Support Command.  It was disbanded into No 38 Group on 1 January 1976.

Air Officers Commanding

1 Feb 1944                           A/Cdre - AVM A L Fiddament

16 Sep 1944                         A/Cdre L Darvall

xx xxx 1945                          A/Cdre W W Straight

 1 Nov 1945                         A/Cdre W E Staton

1 Oct 1947                           AVM J W F Merer

15 Oct 1949 - 1 Nov 1949    Disbanded

1 Nov 1949                           ?

31 Mar 1950 - 1 Sep 1972    Disbanded

 1 Sep 1972                             AM Sir Harry Burton

 3 Jan 1973                              AM Sir Denis Crowley-Milling

 7 Dec 1973                             AM Sir Neil Cameron

 3 Oct 1974                             AVM N E Hoad

Listings of units and personnel controlled by this Group available in the Members' Area

 

No 47 (Transport) Group

This was formed at The Hall, Milton Ernest, Bedfordshire on 1 January 1945 from No 116 Wing in Transport Command. It moved to Abingdon on 15 April 1948 but was redesignated No No 46 Group on 1 November 1949.

Air Officers Commanding

 1 Jan 1945                A/Cdre F J Fressanges

xx Aug 1945              AVM A C Stevens

15 May 1946             AVM D F W Atcherley

xx Oct 1946

15 Jan 1948               A/Cdre A P Revington

 

No 48 (Transport) Group

This was formed at The Hall, Milton Ernest, Bedfordshire on 29 October 1945 in Transport Command.  A detachment known as 48 Group (Unit) was set up at Little Staughton on 26 January 1946, but the Group disbanded into No 47 Group on 15 May 1946.

Air Officers Commanding

xx Dec 1945             A/Cdre D F W Atcherley

This page was last updated on 04/03/18 using FrontPage 2003© 

[Top of Page]

Back to Main Group Index Main Group Index                                                         Groups 50 - 67  Forward to Groups 10 - 19