Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site


Help Needed?



Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me

Airmen awarded the George Medal 1942-1943

[1940-1941 | 1942-1943 | 1944-1945]

This section contains the citations that appeared in the London Gazette in 1942 and 1943, although some of the actions for the awards were  made took place earlier: -

1158287 Leading Aircraftman Harry MILLER.

In August, 1941, an aircraft returning from a sortie over France landed at a home base. Unknown to the pilot, three bombs which were thought to have been released remained in the aircraft and were detached on landing, one exploding and the others falling a short distance away. The aircraft soon became a blazing inferno amid which bullets were exploding. The pilot and two of the crew managed to get out and tried to extricate the observer from the front part of the aircraft, but were unable to do so. Leading Aircraftman Miller, the driver of the fire tender which arrived shortly after the crash, then took over the rescue operations, cutting away the front part of the aircraft and succeeding in extricating the observer regardless of the fact that bombs were lying nearby and others might have been in the aircraft. Unfortunately the observer was found to have been killed when the first bomb exploded.

(London Gazette 6 January 1942)

949358 Leading Aircraftman George WILLIAMS.

1122529 Aircraftman 1st Class Kenneth BLAND.

In June, 1941, ammunition in an aircraft exploded by spontaneous combustion. In spite of the explosions, Aircraftman Bland climbed .on to the mainplane and unfastened the gun panels. By this time the ammunition tank was burning fiercely, so he released it from the gun. Leading Aircraftman Williams carried away the burning tank, which started to explode while he was carrying it. The presence of mind and courage shown by these two airmen undoubtedly saved the aircraft and probably the lives of the air crews and armourers who were emptying the remaining ammunition tanks.

(London Gazette 6 January 1942)

1345818 Warrant Officer Alexander Alistair Robertson MCGARVEY, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

In August, 1943, this airman was pilot of an aircraft returning from an attack on Hamburg.  His aircraft was hit and became uncontrollable.  At approximately 0200 hours he gave orders to abandon the aircraft. He alighted in the sea near to his navigator, who was a poor swimmer and had been wounded. Despite his own wounds, which rendered his legs almost useless, Warrant Officer McGarvey (who was a Sergeant at the time) swam towards the navigator, who was blowing his whistle. Searchlights were being played on them and they tried to swim to the nearest shore position, Warrant Officer MoGarvey towing the navigator who, after a time, could barely help himself along and relapsed into periods of unconsciousness. When dawn broke they set course for a light vessel which could be seen in the distance. The tide was, however, carrying them- away from the vessel. The navigator was only just conscious and Warrant Officer McGarvey, discarding his " Mae West," swam to the light vessel to obtain assistance. At 10.30 hours the navigator was rescued in an unconscious condition but recovered after artificial respiration had been applied. Warrant Officer McGarvey had assisted him for 8 hours, eventually saving his life in most difficult and dangerous circumstances. Five other members of the crew were drowned

(London Gazette - 14 August 1945)

1221276 Acting Corporal Thomas Hill, Royal Air Force.

On 27th August, 1941, at about 1500 hours, an aircraft crashed through the roof into the main hall of the Central Railway station at Blackpool. On impact, a large explosion occurred and the aircraft burst into a mass of flames. The heat was terrific and the whole place became an inferno. Nevertheless, Corporal Hill rushed into the fire and extricated a woman from the wreckage. He returned and got out a second woman who was under a girder. The clothes of both the women were burning and Corporal Hill, assisted by a policeman, beat out the flames. Large portions of the roof were now falling and pieces of wreckage were flying in all directions. Another woman could be heard screaming in the wreckage. Despite warning shouts that the roof was in danger of collapsing, Corporal Hill covered his face with his arm, dashed into the flames again and succeeded in extricating her. Her clothes were also a mass of flames but Corporal Hill took off his tunic and assisted by two other persons, beat out the flames. The woman was still alive but badly burned. Corporal Hill displayed undaunted courage throughout and undoubtedly rescued the 3 persons at the risk of his own life.

(London Gazette 30 January 1942)

960595 Leading Aircraftman Sydney Walter John Green, Royal Air Force.

One night in September, 1941, at 2150 hours, an aircraft crashed on an aerodrome and immediately burst into flames. Ignoring the intense heat, exploding ammunition and oxygen bottles, Leading Aircraftman Green arriving on the scene, assisted in freeing the trapped gunner, a feat which was accomplished by smashing the rear turret with bare hands and breaking the guns from their brackets. With complete disregard for his own safety Leading Aircraftman Green, whose hands were burned in the process, worked heroically until the airman was saved. He set a very fine example.

(London Gazette 30 January 1942)

531432 Corporal Leonard Charles Bridgeman, Royal Air Force.

A vessel which was taking a Naval and Royal Air Force salvage crew to salve an aircraft which had crashed into the sea on the previous day, struck a mine and sank. After the explosion, however, the forepart of the vessel remained afloat for a short period and Corporal Bridgeman, accompanied by a naval officer, descended to the hold in an endeavour to rescue injured personnel. Despite warning shouts, Corporal Bridgeman continued his rescue work and, when this portion of the vessel capsized and sank, he went under with the wreckage but managed to get clear and was rescued later. The naval officer who was assisting him in his efforts to rescue the injured, lost his life. Although suffering from the effects of the explosion, Corporal Bridgeman displayed great bravery in dangerous circumstances.

(London Gazette 3 February 1942)

The ship was the MV Buffalo off Singapore.

541367 Corporal Edwin Gilbert Durant, Royal Air Force.

In November, 1941, an aircraft caught fire, and one of its bombs exploded. Corporal Durant led the fire tender party to the scene after the first explosion, knowing full well that further explosions could be expected from the remaining bombs. On reaching the blazing aircraft, Corporal Durant observed an injured airman lying near the wreckage and, assisted by another airman, promptly dragged him clear. Whilst carrying the injured airman to the comparative safety of the fire tender, they were twice hurled to the ground by the force of the explosion from two further bombs. Leaving the injured airman to the care of the medical orderly in "charge of the ambulance, Corporal Durant led a party to the other side of the aircraft, whence he had heard a cry for help, and helped to extricate another casualty from the fire. Throughout, Corporal Durant displayed fine leadership and complete disregard of his own safety and, with the assistance of another airman was undoubtedly responsible for saving the life of one of the occupants of the blazing aircraft. Unfortunately, the second occupant who was rescued subsequently died of his injuries.

(London Gazette 24 February 1942)

Acting Squadron Leader Robert Hill, M.B., Ch.B. (72339), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Acting Flight Lieutenant Ernest Leslie Williams (44375)

1293969 Leading Aircraftman Cyril John Boarman.

1219149 Leading Aircraftman Hyman Sumray.

One night in March, 1942, two aircraft, carrying bombs, collided on an aerodrome in Malta and burst into flames. Squadron Leader Hill (the station medical officer), Flight Lieutenant Williams and Leading Aircraftmen Boarman and Sumray immediately proceeded to the scene. Shortly afterwards the bombs began to explode and enemy aircraft began to bomb the area. Despite the great danger, Squadron Leader Hill, assisted by Flight Lieutenant Williams and the two airmen, successfully extricated four members of the crews from the wreckage. The prompt and gallant action of these officers and airmen undoubtedly saved the four lives. Squadron Leader Hill has invariably performed exemplary work in dealing with casualties during heavy bombing raids and both he and Flight Lieutenant Williams have set a magnificent example which has done much to maintain a high standard of morale on the station. The bravery shown by Leading Aircraftmen Boarman and Sumray has been an inspiration to others.

(London Gazette 8 June 1942)

751567 Sergeant John Felix Waite, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

One night in February, 1942, an aircraft, loaded for an operational sortie, crashed during the take-off. Sergeant Waite, a member of the crew, was thrown clear some 20 yards in front of the aircraft which was on fire. He was told by another survivor to run from the scene as fast as he could as the high explosives on board the aircraft were likely to detonate at any moment. Sergeant Waite, although injured about the face, back and leg, ignored this advice and, with complete disregard of danger, went to the blazing wreckage and extricated the observer who was lying on the floor of the aircraft in the flames. Having extricated the observer, Sergeant Waite carried him for about 100 yards then got him through a barbed wire fence and finally behind the shelter of a ditch, just as the explosives blew up. In circumstances of exceptional danger, this airman, although himself seriously wounded, displayed great bravery. Unfortunately the observer whom he had socourageously rescued died some 3 days later.

(London Gazette 8 June 1942)

634975 Corporal Hugh Clawson.

1526634 Leading Aircraftman Edward Morris Mitchison.

One day in April, 1942, a considerable force of enemy aircraft attacked an aerodrome in Malta with heavy bombs. An aircraft, which had been damaged by enemy fighters, crashed and burst into flames when attempting to land. Corporal Clawson and Leading Aircraftman Mitchison, despite the danger from enemy aircraft which were diving to attack and dropping sticks of bombs which were falling across their path, drove across the aerodrome to the scene of the crash. Enemy fighters commenced to attack the burning aircraft with cannon fire but Corporal Clawson and Leading Aircraftman Mitchison assisted the pilot to safety, although their efforts to subdue the fire were not successful. The courage and determination displayed by these airmen undoubtedly saved the pilot's life. They set an example which has been the admiration of all on the station.

(London Gazette 8 June 1942)

Acting Flight Lieutenant Henry Baron Humphrey Dickinson (82889), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Flight Lieutenant Dickinson has displayed outstanding courage, initiative and devotion to duty. When intense and almost continuous enemy air attacks were commenced against Malta, he volunteered for special duties and performed dangerous work while the attacks were in progress. Flight Lieutenant Dickinson displayed remarkable powers' of leadership and indomitable courage. The utmost confidence has been placed in his sound judgment and initiative in duties which entailed great risk.

(London Gazette 10 July 1942)

Acting Warrant Officer David Bishop (562435), Royal Air Force.

Warrant Officer Bishop, who is employed on armament duties in Malta, has displayed exceptional courage and devotion to duty throughout a long and trying period. He has rendered invaluable service, showing an absolute disregard for his own safety which has been of the greatest benefit to his superior officer whose services have been fully taxed during the constant air raids of the past 5 months.

(London Gazette 10 July 1942)

816047 Sergeant James Reynolds, Auxiliary Air Force.

Sergeant Reynolds, who is employed in a technical capacity, was on duty in the flight office one day in July, 1942, when a Hudson aircraft crashed in flames some 400 yards away. Sergeant Reynolds was first to arrive at the scene of the crash. Displaying complete disregard for his own safety he made his way straight into the flames and plunged through a door in the wrecked fuselage in an attempt to rescue the crew inside. The ammunition was exploding in all directions and, just as he reached the turret, a violent explosion occurred which threw him out of the aircraft. He was found lying blinded in the midst of the burning debris and narrowly missed being run over by a fire tender. He recovered his sight two days later. Sergeant Reynolds displayed courage and devotion to duty of a very high standard and set a magnificent example. All the crew of the aircraft were, unfortunately, killed in the crash.

(London Gazette 30 October 1942)

Flying Officer John Amsden Elliott, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. (104768), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

In May 1942, a Boston aircraft crashed shortly after taking off from an aerodrome and burst into flames. An airman who was on duty nearby hastened to the scene where he was joined by 5 soldiers. Although the fire was intense and ammunition was exploding in all directions one member of the crew (the air gunner, who was seen to be hanging out of the turret) was dragged from the wreckage by one of the soldiers and then, with the assistance of the remainder of the party, carried on a stretcher to an ambulance which had arrived. The party was returning to the aircraft, which was then being approached by the station engineer officer and Flying Officer Elliott, a medical officer, when a bomb exploded. The engineer officer was thrown to the ground bleeding from the chest. Flying Officer Elliott, although also knocked down, was uninjured and immediately went to the aid of the engineer officer. He gave him morphia and at the time was fully aware that other bombs were in the aircraft only 8 yards away. A second bomb exploded which wounded Flying Officer Elliott but he valiantly attempted to remove his injured comrade. Eventually Flying Officer Elliott was assisted away by one of- the soldiers, whilst the remaining men of the party removed the engineer officer who was found to be dead. Throughout, Flying Officer Elliott displayed great determination and complete disregard for his own safety.

(London Gazette 1 December 1942)

1283824 Sergeant George Lynas Hosford, Royal Air Force.

Sergeant Hosford was in charge of a party which laid a flare path and loaded bombs on to a squadron of aircraft when they were operating from an airfield one night in June, 1942. The bombers had taken off from a nearby landing ground and, soon afterwards, enemy aircraft commenced to drop flares and bombs in the neighbourhood. The attack continued throughout the night. At 2300 hours our bombers commenced to arrive back, landing at the airfield, to be re-fuelled and reloaded for a second sortie. One of the aircraft, when taking off on its second operation, received a direct hit by an enemy bomb; a terrific explosion occurred and the aircraft burst into flames. Three members of the crew escaped through the pilot's escape hatch, whilst the rear gunner, who was badly injured but had managed to free himself from his turret, was assisted by Sergeant Hosford to get clear of the aircraft. The bombs on the aircraft began to explode but, despite the great danger, Sergeant Hosford returned to the blazing wreckage for the wireless operator, who was lying seriously injured close to it and dragged him to a nearby vehicle. The vehicle was badly damaged and, although Sergeant Hosford had not driven before, he succeeded in driving the vehicle away from the danger area. During the whole of this time enemy aircraft were overhead bombing and machine gunning the blazing aircraft. Afterwards to enable our bombers to land when returning from operations, Sergeant Hosford helped to relay a flare path, which he manned for the rest of the night. He displayed courage and devotion to duty of a very high standard and undoubtedly saved two lives.

(London Gazette 29 December 1942)

1316260 Sergeant Donald Benjamin GODFREY, Royal Air Force.

One night in December, 1942, Sergeant Godfrey was the rear gunner of a Wellington aircraft which crashed into some trees during a rain storm and bad visibility. The aircraft burst into flames instantly. After Sergeant Godfrey had extricated himself from his turret and fought his way clear of the wreckage, he observed the wireless operator, who was severely injured, lying near the fire. He dragged him clear of the burning wreckage and, having also assisted the pupil pilot to safety, Sergeant Godfrey realised that the pilot instructor was trapped in the blazing cockpit. He immediately dashed back into the fire in an endeavour to extricate the instructor. A petrol tank exploded and heavy pieces of the wreckage were hurled into the air but this did not deter Sergeant Godfrey and, in spite of the heat and flames, he hacked and pulled at the wreckage until finally he succeeded in releasing the instructor. He was pulling him clear when assistance arrived. Sergeant Godfrey sustained severe burns causing temporary blindness. He displayed courage and devotion to duty in keeping with the highest traditions of the Royal Air Force.

(London Gazette 26 February 1943)

549179 Leading Aircraftman Edward James DRURY, Royal Air Force.

One night in December, 1942, a force of Wellington aircraft had been re-fuelled and loaded with bombs for a second operation when the airfield was attacked by enemy aircraft. Several of our bombers, some carrying 4,000 lb. bombs, were hit and set on fire. Despite bombs bursting around him, Leading Aircraftman Drury started the engines of a Wellington and taxied it to safety, passing between 2 other aircraft which were enveloped in flames. He then returned and taxied- to safety a second aircraft, one wing of which was on fire. Both aircraft were loaded with bombs. Leading Aircraftman Drury displayed supreme courage and a complete disregard for his own safety. By his exemplary conduct in the face of the gravest danger he saved 2 valuable aircraft from certain destruction.

(London Gazette 26 February 1943)

1207444 Sergeant Arthur Leslie Eastwick, Royal Air Force.

In November, 1942, Sergeant Eastwick was the wireless operator of an aircraft which crashed and burst into flames. He managed to get clear of the burning bomber but, finding that the bomb aimer was injured and trapped, Sergeant Eastwick re-entered the blazing aircraft. By this time the flares and petrol tanks were exploding. Despite this and the danger from the ammunition which was liable to explode at any moment, Sergeant Eastwick successfully extricated the bomb aimer and then assisted in the rescue of the rear gunner, who was also injured. Sergeant Eastwick set a magnificent example of courage, determination and devotion to duty.

(London Gazette 2 April 1943)

929506 Corporal Glyn Rees, Royal Air Force.

In June, 1942, an aircraft crashed and the petrol caught fire. Corporal Rees, on being informed that the rear gunner was still in the aircraft, immediately went to the rescue although fully aware that it was loaded with bombs. He searched the interior of the aircraft although, in fact, the rear .gunner had been thrown clear and killed. On another occasion in November, 1942, when a fire occurred in the wing of an aircraft and caused an explosion, Corporal Rees obtained a fire extinguisher, jumped on the wing, and succeeded in putting out the flames which were around the petrol tanks. His gallant action saved a valuable aircraft. Finally, in December 1942, whilst he was engaged with a party in refuelling an aircraft, an attack was made -by enemy fighter bombers. In the midst of a hail of cannon and machine-gun fire Corporal Rees started the engine and drove the bowser away from .the aircraft he was refuelling. This airman has at all times displayed courage, initiative and a high standard of devotion to duty.

(London Gazette 2 April 1943)

1279182 Aircraftman 2nd Class Victor Marsh, Royal Air Force.

One morning in December, 1942, Aircraftman Marsh was engaged on a routine inspection of a marine craft refueller, when an explosion occurred in the engine room. One of his companions was severely burned and blinded. Disregarding the flames Aircraftman Marsh made his way into the engine room and after several attempts he succeeded in dragging the airman to safety. He then returned to the engine room and closed all port holes and hatches thus localising the fire. The courage and devotion to duty displayed by Aircraftman Marsh undoubtedly saved his companion's life and prevented the refueller from becoming a total loss.

(London Gazette 2 April 1943)

1277194 Aircraftman 2nd Class George Graham Layton, Royal Air Force.

One afternoon in July, 1942, an aircraft crashed on the edge of an airfield and burst into flames. The fire tender arrived on the scene almost immediately but was forced to withdraw to a distance of about 100 yards as the aircraft was burning fiercely and the bombs were still on board. Aircraftman Layton, on being informed that one member of the crew (the front gunner) was still in the aircraft, immediately ran back and climbed, on to the wing. He assisted the gunner, whose clothing was alight, to get clear of the wreckage and stripped him of his burning clothing. Aircraftman Layton then took off his own shirt and wrapped the airman in it and assisted him to the fire tender just before the bombs exploded. Aircraftman Layton displayed courage and gallantry of the highest order.

(London Gazette 14 May 1943)

Group Captain Strang Graham, M.C., Royal Air Force.

Use link above to go to his biography

(London Gazette 6 July 1943)

Flying Officer Geoffrey Alan Osborn (106230), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

This officer has on two occasions displayed great gallantry in rescuing members of his crew from burning aircraft. When serving as an instructor at an Operational Training Unit, he was engaged in testing a Whitley, which crashed and burst into flames. Flying Officer Osborn, who was thrown clear and was uninjured, immediately re-entered the aircraft and dragged clear the observer, who was badly injured. In effecting this rescue, Flying Officer Osborn suffered severe burns about the hands and was in hospital for six weeks. In March, 1943, Flying Officer Osborn was captain and pilot of an aircraft which crashed shortly after taking off on an operational flight. The aircraft was soon enveloped in flames and ammunition and verey lights were exploding, Flying Officer Osborn was dazed but succeeded in extricating 4 injured members of the crew from the wreckage. In so doing he was badly burnt about the hands, arms and face. Though in a state bordering on collapse, he did all he could to ensure that every member of his crew had been extricated before he was finally persuaded to receive attention.

(London Gazette 6 July 1943)

507533 Corporal Thomas William Chellew.

One morning in January, 1943, an aircraft crashed on taking off and caught fire. Corporal Chellew, the N.C.O. in charge of the fire tender, was quickly on the scene of the accident, but it was impossible to bring the tender to within 200 yards of the crash owing to the difficult terrain. With complete disregard for his own safety, Corporal Chellew entered the wreckage and extricated an injured airman. He succeeded in extricating 2 more bodies from the wreckage. Although the aircraft was burning fiercely and small arms ammunition was exploding, while two 250lb. unexploded bombs remained on the aircraft, Corporal Chellew continued to search for the fourth member of the crew. He finally located the body pinned beneath the propeller. With assistance he removed the engine and the propeller and then dragged the body clear. Corporal Chellew displayed high courage, with no thought for his own safety.

(London Gazette 6 July 1943)

1128327 Sergeant James Farquhar Clark, Royal Air Force.

One night in March, 1943, Sergeant Clark was the wireless operator/air gunner in a Fortress aircraft which crashed and caught fire on the top of a hill, in conditions of poor visibility. Sergeant Clark and three other members of the crew escaped with minor injuries and Sergeant Clark realised that three further members of the crew were in the wreckage. Despite the blazing petrol tanks and the presence of explosives which-he knew were in the aircraft, he immediately re-entered the fuselage and, with the assistance of. Leading Aircraftman French, who had arrived at the scene after having seen the flames from his bedroom, dragged the three airmen from the wreckage. Some time afterwards an explosion occurred, shattering the aircraft .and breaking glass a quarter-of a mile away.

1197934 Leading Aircraftman Albert French, Royal Air Force was awarded a BEM for his part in this action

(London Gazette 27 July 1943)

Acting Squadron Leader Peter Guy OTTEWILL (46451), Royal Air Force.

One day in June, 1943, a Beaufighter aircraft crashed into an ammunition store when taking off and immediately caught fire. Both occupants of the aircraft were stunned and unable to get out unaided. Despite the bursting of the aircraft's war load of ammunition (which included cannon shells), the 30,000 rounds of ammunition which were exploding in the store and the grave danger of the petrol tanks exploding, Squadron Leader Ottewill, accompanied by 2 others, went to the scene of the accident in an endeavour to rescue the crew. Squadron Leader Ottewill, ignoring a burning petrol tank, jumped on to the wing and after opening the front hatch, he succeeded in releasing the pilot and dragged him clear. Squadron Leader Ottewill then returned and rescued the observer who was in happened. Shortly afterwards a petrol tank exploded. Squadron Leader Ottewill, who had been severely burned on a previous occasion when his own aircraft was shot down by the enemy, accepted the risk of further severe burns, and injury in going to the assistance of his comrades and effecting their rescue. Fortunately he sustained only slight burns during this rescue.

(London Gazette 12 November 1943)

635541 Sergeant Gildus DAVIES, Royal Air Force.

In June, 1943, Sergeant Davies was the 2nd engineer in an aircraft which crashed into high ground and immediately caught fire. Sergeant Davies, displaying complete disregard for his own safety, made many attempts to open a hatch and eventually succeeded in releasing one of his trapped comrades whom he dragged to safety. Sergeant Davies then attempted to re-enter the blazing aircraft in an endeavour to rescue other members of the crew. He was, however, compelled to abandon the attempt owing to the intense heat which exploded depth charges in the aircraft. This airman displayed outstanding courage and devotion to duty.

(London Gazette 12 November 1943)

1412165 Aircraftman 1st Class Daniel OWEN, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

In July, 1943, Aircraftman Owen was working in a bomb dump with 6 other airmen. He was engaged in attaching trolleys of bombs behind a tractor when a 1,000 lb. bomb in the dump exploded, killing 5 of the party and setting fire to a tractor and a portable crane. Aircraftman Owen, who was only a few yards from the airmen who had been killed, was badly shaken but, ignoring the danger of further explosions, he immediately attempted to rescue another airman who was lying under a fiercely blazing vehicle. Although his comrade died as a result of injuries he succeeded in dragging him clear of the vehicle. Still disregarding his own safety Aircraftman Owen then drove a tractor and towed 3 loaded bomb trolleys away from the burning wreckage. This action probably saved further damage and injuries to personnel. Aircraftman Owen's prompt and gallant conduct was a fine example of devotion to duty.

(London Gazette 12 November 1943)

Squadron Leader Samuel Leonard THOMPSON (43564), Royal Air Force.

1139396 Leading Aircraftman Donald William SETCHELL, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Early one morning in June, 1943 a 250 lb. bomb exploded in a bomb dump and set fire to a store containing target illuminators. Squadron Leader Thompson, an armament officer, immediately proceeded to the scene. The steel doors of the store containing the target illuminators which were exploding and burning furiously, were partially closed. Although the heat was intense and a number of fused bombs were lying nearby, Squadron Leader Thompson and Leading Aircraftman Setchell, who worked under the officer's instructions, forced open the doors sufficiently to enable water to be played on the fire which was eventually got under control. It was then necessary to remove the unexploded bombs to a place of safety. Three of the bombs were fused; they had suffered a severe jar from the first explosion and there was a grave risk of detonation. Nevertheless, this officer and airman, ignoring the danger, loaded the bombs on a trolley and moved them to a safe area. Their prompt and courageous action prevented further very severe damage being caused.

(London Gazette 24 December 1943)

This page was last updated on 02/10/21

GM holders 1940 - 1941 1940 - 1941                                     [Top of Page]                                          1944-1945 GM Holders 1944 - 1945