Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation


Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site

Reunions

Help Needed?

Glossary

Bibliography

Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me


Maintenance Units Nos 101 - 179


Prior to 1938 the RAF operated a number of support units tasked with the storage, servicing and repair of equipment but as the RAF expanded, the number needed increased and it was decided to adopt an standard nomenclature for these units, the term selected being 'Maintenance Unit' (MU).  Some existing units were redesignated whilst new ones would be formed in the forthcoming years.  Each MU was generally tasked with a specific role but a few were often responsible for a variety of tasks.

No 101 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 10 October 1938 from No 1 Ammunition and Petrol Depot at Tura.  (El Ma'sara).  In August the sub-site in the caves at Tura was redesignated no 111 MU and by 1 September 1941 it was at Helwan.  By 15 November it was at Massawa, where it remained until disbanding on 1 March 1947.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
Mersa Matruh ?
daba ?
Amriya ?
caves at Tura ?
No 2 Sub Depot, Fayid Area 24 Nov 1941 - 26 Apr 1942
No 1 Sub Depot, Khataba* 26 Apr 1942 - 25 Jun 1942
No 2 Sub Depot, Qena** 26 Apr 1942 - 25 Jun 1942

* became No 1 (Middle East) Ammunition Depot 25 Jun 1942

** became No 3 (Middle East) Ammunition Depot 25 Jun 1942


No 102 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 November 1938 from the ASU, RAF Depot at RAF Aboukir, before moving to Abu Sueir on 1 January 1939.  At Abu Sueir it operated a Training Flight of seven Ansons and a Target Towing Flight comprising six Gordons.  By April 1941 it was an Aircraft Repair and Universal Equipment Depot but in June it became just an Aircraft Depot and disbanded on 1 February 1942.  It reformed on 1 July 1943 at Amriya as a Repairable Equipment Depot, disbanding on 31 August 1946.  It reformed again on 15 January 1948 at Benina but disbanded on 31 August before reforming at Berka 1, finally disbanding on 31 December 1948.


No 103 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from the Aircraft Depot, Middle East on 12 November 1939 as a Third Line Servicing Unit (Aircraft, Marine craft & MT) under the control of RAF Middle East at Aboukir.  By July 1942 it had come under the control of No 206 Group and by October comprised an Aircraft and Engine Repair Section and a Signals Repair and General Engineering Section.  It disbanded on 31 October 1946. 

It reformed on 1 May 1955 as a Third Line Servicing Unit for NEAF under the control of No 205 Group at Abyab.  It relocated to Akrotiri on 15 November 1955, Limassol in 1969 and then back to Akrotiri, date unknown, where it disbanded on 13 January 1975.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
Detachment - Safi, Malta xxx xxxx - at least Aug 1971

Commanding Officers: -

23 Oct 1962                Wg Cdr W J Pope

18 Apr 1955                Wg Cdr R Stone

xx xxx xxxx

 1 Apt 1969                 Wg Cdr J H Eaton-Shore


No 104 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 9 May 1941 under the control of No 203 Group at Geraif West, although its original location was due to have been Summit.  It operated a detachment at Port Sudan by 1 September 1941 and disbanded on 10 May 1943.

It reformed on 16 November 1943 as an Aircraft & MT Reserve Pool (Levant) under the control of AHQ Levant in the Aleppo area.  It relocated to Muqeibila on 20 March 1944 and then Aqir on 13 October 1945, where it disbanded on 15 December 1945.

It reformed, once again, on 1 February 1954 under the control of AHQ Iraq at Habbaniya.  Control was transferred to AHQ Levant on 1 May 1955 and it disbanded on 1 July 1956.


No 105 Maintenance Unit

This was formed in December 1940 as a Armament Depot under the control of RAF Middle East at Moshi, Tanganyka.  It relocated to Addis Ababa on or by 19 June 1941, where it dealt with enemy equipment captured in Abyssinia.  Further moves took place to Nairobi on 1 September 1941, where it absorbed No 11 Air Depot, SAAF, and then to Thika on 6 June 1942.  It disbanded on 1 December 1946.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
Detachment - Addis Ababa post 1 Sep 1941
Detachment - Dire Dawa post 1 Sep 1941
Detachment - Mogadishu post 1 Sep 1941
Detachment - Berbera post 1 Sep 1941
'X' Group - Gilgil (explosives storage and supply) 15 May 1942 - 1 Dec 1946
Detachment  - Miritini by 29 Sep 1942 - xxx xxxx
No 1 Sub Depot - Kajiado by 29 Sep 1942 - xxx xxxx

No 106 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 11 August 1941 as an Equipment Depot under the control of No 206 Group at El Khanka.  By October 1942 it comprised an Aircraft and Engine Repair Section and a Signals Repair and General Engineering Section, disbanding on 15 March 1947.


No 107 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from C Sqn, No 103 MU on 17 December 1940 as an Aircraft storage and/or equipment supply unit under the control of RAF Middle East at Geneifa.  It relocated to Kasfareet in March 1941, where it was reorganised as an Equipment Holding Depot.  It was transferred to No 206 Group on 15 Jun 1952 and disbanded on 31 December 1955.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
Detachment - Ismailia xxx 1947 - xxx xxxx
Detachment - Abu Sueir (ex No 112 MU) 1 Oct 1948 - xxx xxxx
Detachment - Wadi Ysara by 1950 - xxx xxxx

No 108 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from Aircraft Storage Unit (Middle East) on 22 August 1941 as an Aircraft Storage Unit under the control of RAF Middle East at El Firdan.  It relocated to Kilo 17 (absorbing the ARS and Ferry Pool of No 102 MU) on 1 October 1941, Beersheba on 2 July 1942 and then LG222/Kilo 17 on 10 March 1943, as a Repair Unit.  On 22 March 1943 it was reduced to the status of an Aircraft Repair Section but on 1 December it moved to El Firdan and reformed as an Aircraft Repair and Erection Unit.  It disbanded on 15 December 1945.

Commanding Officers: -

 5 Nov 1942                Wg Cdr R R Holder


No 109 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 3 August 1941 as an Aircraft Storage Unit and Aircraft/Engine Repair Unit under the control of RAF Middle East at Cathago.  By September 1941 it had relocated to Wadi Gazouza before making further moves to Abu Sueir on 27 November 1942, Summit on 14 February 1942 and then LG237/Kilo 40 (Gebel Hamzi from 7 March 1943) on 23 February 1943.  Its actual fate is unknown but probably disbanded before 31 March 1943.

It reformed from 'B' Echelon, No 111 MU on 1 April 1943 as an aircraft engine repair unit under the control of RAF Middle East at Boulac, Cairo.  It moved to Fayid at some point and disbanded there on 1 July 1946.

It reformed, once again, on 15 July 1946 as an aircraft repair unit under the control of RAF Mediterranean and Middle East at Fayid South (renamed Shubra on 1 May 1947).  It was reclassified as a Technical MU on 1 December 1947 and 1 November 1948 was renamed No 109 MU Abyad, disbanding  on 1 May 1955, by which time it was in No 205 Group.

Commanding Officers: -

xx Jun 1954                 Gp Capt A L Holland


No 110 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 5 July 1941 as an Aircraft Storage Unit under the control of AHQ Iraq at Sadaira.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 October 1942 and it disbanded on 30 April 1943.

It reformed on 3 May 1943 as a Explosives Holding Depot under the control of Middle East Command at Fort St Lucien, Valetta, Malta with a detachment at Kalafrana.  Control was transferred to NWAAF on 22 September 1943.  It disbanded into No 143 MU with effect from 1 November 1943.

It reformed, once again, from the Aircraft Repair Section, No 113 MU on 29 December 1943 as an aircraft repair unit under the control of Middle East Command at Brindisi.  It relocated to Castel Benito at some point, where it was redesignated No 8 ARD, SAAF on 10 July 1945.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
'A' Detachment - Foggia by 19 Apr 1944 - at least 1 Nov 1944
'B' Detachment - Vasto by 15 Jul 1944 - Sep 1944
'B' Detachment - Ortona 9 Sep 1944 - xxx 1944
'B' Detachment - Vis by 1 Nov 1944 - xxx xxxx
'C' Detachment  - Vis by 15 Jul 1944 - xxx xxxx

No 111 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from a sub-station of No 101 MU on 1 August 1941 as a control unit for dispersed ERS, GES and MT Spares elements in caves at Tura-El-Asment, under the control of No 213 Group.  On 24 October it was divided into 'A' and 'B' Echelons, with 'A' remaining at Tura and 'B' moving to the Boulac area.  By October 1942 it comprised an Aircraft and Engine Repair Section and a Signals Repair and General Engineering Section.  'B' Echelon was redesignated No 109 MU on 1 April 1943 with 'A' Echelon reverting to the title No 111 MU to carry out engine repairs and equipment storage, but now under the control of No 206 Group.  It disbanded on 16 March 1947.


No 112 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 5 November 1941 as a location for equipment removed from No 107 MU under the control of Middle East Command at Kilo 104.  Its fate is unknown but closed or disbanded by 31 May 1942.

It reformed on 1 June 1942 as an Equipment Dispersal Depot (later Equipment Holding Depot) under the control of No 206 Group at El Agud.  It operated a detachment at Abu Sueir until 1 October 1948 when it was transferred to No 107 MU.  In January 1949 its 'X' Secion at Fort Agrud disbanded into No 128 MU.  It was placed in Care & Maintenance on 31 March 1949 and disbanded on 15 April 1950.


No 113 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 November 1941 as an Aircraft Storage Unit (Fighters) under the control of Middle East Command at Hurghada on the Gulf of Suez.  It reduced to a cadre on 20 January 1943.

It reformed on 1 February 1943 as an aircraft and MT overhaul/repair unit under the control of Middle East Command at the Fiat Works, Tripoli, Libya but utilising hangers at Castel Benito and El Mallaha.  It relocated to the Naples area on 10 December 1943 and then Capodichino on 2 October 1944.  Control was transferred to No 214 Group on 1 May 1943, which was itself transferred from Middle East Command to NWAAF on 7 October 1943.  It disbanded on 5 December 1945.

It reformed, once again, from No 375 Repair Unit on 21 September 1945 as a repair unit under the control of RAF Middle East at Udine with a detachment at Graz.  It disbanded into No 357 MU on 27 January 1947.

It was formed for the final time (so far) on 1 January 1955 as a supply unit under the control of HQ Near East Air Force at Nicosia.  It disbanded on 30 April 1964.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
'B' Detachment - Brindisi xxx xxxx - 29 Dec 1943*
Detachment - Brindisi post Dec 1943
No 2 Echelon - Castellamare post Dec 1943 - 3 Apr 1945**
No 1 Echelon - Capodichino Oct 1944 - Dec 1945
Detachment (1) - Graz 21 Sep 1945 - 1 Nov 1946
Detachment (1) - Klagenfurt 1 Nov 1946 - 27 Jan 1947
Detachment (2) - Caserta 21 Sep 1945 - 7 Nov 1946

*redesignated No 110 MU

**redesignated No 378 MU

Commanding Officers: -

 5 Oct 1960                 Wg Cdr F S R Johnson


No 114 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 12 November 1941 as an Aircraft Storage Unit (Fighters) under the control of Middle East Command at Gordon's Tree, Sudan.  It relocated to Wadi Seidna on 26 December 1941 and disbanded on 20 February 1943.

It reformed on 1 March 1943 as an Equipment Holding Unit under the control of Middle East Command at Zavia, Tripolitania.  It relocated to the San Rocco Caves, Naples on 11 December 1943 and then along the Foggia-Lucera Road as a MT Servicing Unit by on 21 January 1944.  Control was transferred to No 214 Group on 1 May 1943, which was itself transferred to NWAAF on 7 October 1943.  It disbanded on 15 November 1946.

It reformed, once again, from the Equipment Supply Depot, Aden on 1 December 1946 as an Equipment Supply depot at Steamer Point, Aden.  It disbanded on 1 September 1967.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
Detachment - Pasillipo ?
No 1 Sub Depot - Acerra 13 Nov 1944 - Jun 1946
No 2 Sub Depot - Marano 13 Nov 1944 - xxx xxxx
No 3 Sub Depot - Cancello 13 Nov 1944 - xxx xxxx
No 2 Sub Depot - Cancello xxx xxxx - 30 Apr 1946
? Sub Depot xxx xxxx - 8 Sep 1946
MTSU - Kilo 2 Jun1944 - xxx xxxx
'X' Detachment - Caserta 10 Dec 1944 - xxx xxxx

Commanding Officers: -

xx Feb 1958                Wg Cdr A D Rutherford-Jones

xx xxx xxxx

18 Apr 1955                Wg Cdr J G Ireton


No 115 Maintenance Unit

This was formed in the UK before leaving on 9 November 1941 as a Stores Depot (later Equipment Holding Depot).  It disembarked at Basrah on 17 January 1942 and moved to Shaibah under the control of AHQ Iraq.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 October 1942 and it  moved to Habbaniya, with a detachment at Shaibah on 1 March 1945.  It was redesignated RAF Reserve Holding Depot, Habbaniya on 1 April 1958.


No 116 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 19 October 1941 as an Aircraft Assembly Unit under the control of AHQ West Africa Takoradi.  On 21 January 1943 a Replacement Pool was formed to handle Spitfires, Hurricanes, Kittyhawks, Bostons and Baltimores, it disbanded on 30 August 1945.

It reformed on 1 July 1955 under the control of AHQ Levant at Mafraq and disbanded on 31 May 1957.


No 117 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from Aircraft Assembly Unit, Middle East on 19 October 1941 as an Aircraft Assembly Unit under the control of Middle East Command at Port Sudan.  It relocated to Zuara (via No 21 PTC, Kasfareet) on 8 May 1943, having been in transit since 19 April.  Further moves followed with a move to Aziza Main on 24 June 1943, Sorman East on 21 July 1943 and then Bari on 14 November 1943.  It was transferred from RAF Middle East to NWAAF on 7 Oct 1943 and disbanded on 10 June 1944.

It reformed on 8 July 1944 as an Aircraft Storage Unit under the control of No 214 Group at Elmas.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 August 1944 and it disbanded on 7 November 1944.

It reformed, once again, from No 2 Transport Aircraft Repair Unit on 21 April 1945 as an Aircraft repair unit under the control of RAF Mediterranean & Middle East at Kabrit but disbanded almost a year later on 14 April 1946.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
Detachment - Catania Jul 1943 - Jun 1944

No 118 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 19 October 1941 as an Aircraft Assembly Unit under the control of Middle East Command at Basrah.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 October 1942, it disbanded on 30 April 1943.

It reformed from Advanced Detachment, No 144 MU on 15 October 1943 as a Repair and Servicing unit under the control of North West African Air Service Command at Catania.  Control was transferred to AHQ Malta on 1 November 1943 and later to No 214 Group.  It disbanded on 21 September 1944.

It was due to reform, once again, on 1 May 1945 as a MT Light Repair Unit under the control of No 221 Group at Monywa, but formed as No 17 MTLRU at Bilaspur instead.


No 119 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 19 October 1941 as an Aircraft Assembly Unit under the control of Middle East Command at Shaibah.  Some of the aircraft assembled here were subsequently flown to Russia.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 October 1942 and by 1 February 1945 it was operating a detachment at Abadan.  It disbanded on 1 July 1945.

It was due to reform on 20 August 1945 as a MT Light Repair Unit under the control of No 221 Group but formed as No 17 MTLRU at Bilaspur instead.


No 120 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 8 December 1941 as an Equipment Pool under the control of AHQ Iraq at Sulaiman Beg, Iraq.  It relocated to Beit Ovid on 15 July 1942 as an Equipment Holding Depot under the control of RAF Palestine & Transjordan with a detachment at Rehovoth.  It relocated to Ras-el-Ein on 3 May 1943 and disbanded on 1 April 1948.

Sub sites: -

Location Dates
Detachment - Rehovoth Jul 1942 - xxx xxxx
Detachment - Jaffa xx Sep 1942 - xxx xxxx
'X' Section - Acre xxx xxxx - 15 Nov 1947
'X' Section - Wadi Sarar xxx xxxx - 13 Jan 1948

No 121 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from Air Ammunition Park, Middle East on 1 June 1941 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of Middle East Command at Fuka.  Being mobile its movements are listed below, as are it's various Dumps and Parks.  On 3 August 1942 it was redesignated No 121 Maintenance Unit (Air Ammunition Park) and between 23 November 1942 and 4 May 1943 it took over No 124 MU. Control was transferred to North West African Air Forces on 1 October 1943.  It disbanded on 30 July 1945.

Movements: -

Location Dates
Maaten Bagush by 10 Jun 1941
Charing Cross by 27 Oct 1941 to at least 26 Dec 1941
Tobruk by 1 Feb 1942
Unknown location in Libya by 1 Mar 1942
site west of Tripoli by 9 Mar 1942
Gazala, Tobruk, Bu Amud, Gambut (Main Party ) and Bardia (Rear) Jun 1942
Fuka ?
Burg el Arab 26 Jun 1942
Aqir 6 Jul 1942
Khataba 1 Nov 1942
Tobruk (detachments at Fort Cupuzzo, Gambut and Martuba) 23 Nov 1942
Katara 5 Mar 1943
Katakba, Tripoli 16 Jun 1943
North of Pachino, Sicily 13 Jul 1943
Priola 11 Aug 1943
Motte area 20 Aug 1943
Cerignola 1 Oct 1943
Chieuti area 20 Jan 1944
Variano area 16 Jun 1944
Narni area 6 Jul 1944
near Lake Trasimeno 15 Jul 1944
Pian del Lago 7 Aug 1944
San Andrea 16 Oct 1944
Pesaro 4 Feb 1945
Imola 21 Apr 1945
Rivolto 16 May 1945
Pagnacco 21 May 1945

Dumps/Parks: -

Dump No Park No Location Dates (from)
4   Fuka Main 17 Oct 1941
1   2 miles north of Pachino 1943
2   1 mile north of Priola 1943
3   Catania 1943
4   2 mile north of Motte Junction 1943
  3 Francesco 28 Aug 1943
  3 1 mile east of Cutro 20 Sep 1943
  9 Frassa 24 Sep 1943
  11 1 mile north-west of Bari 25 Sep 1943
  14 Foggia Imperiale Station 22 Oct 1943
  6 Taranto by 5 Nov 1943
  11 Bari by 5 Nov 1943
  21 Brindisi by 5 Nov 1943
  13 Cerignola by 5 Nov 1943
  14 San Severo ?
  15 Chieuti by 5 Nov 1943
  16 Montenero area by 5 Nov 1943
  12 ? closed 12 Nov 1943
  17 Campomarino area by 21 Apr 1944
  18 Casabordino 20 Apr 1944
  22 Rome/Tivoli Road 15 Jun 1944
  23 Monterosi area 15 Jul 1944
  24 Castel Giorgio 15 Jul 1944
  25 Panicale area 15 Jul 1944
  27 Casa Luppi 21 Jul 1944
  24 Castel Giorgio closed 7 Aug 1944
  28 Tagoleta area 14 Aug 1944
  25 Panicale area closed 30 Aug 1944
  29 San Andrea 16 Oct 1944
  30 Assisi 13 Nov 1944
  30 Bastia 19 Dec 1944
  27 Casa Luppi closed 27 Dec 1944
  28 Tagoleta area closed 1 Jan 1945
  31 ex No 126 MU, No 4 Park, Senigallia 11 Jan 1945
  32 ex No 126 MU, No 5 Park, Forlimpopoli 15 Feb 1945
  30 Bastia closed about 9 Apr 1945
  34 near Venice 4 May 1945
  35 near Klagenfurt 15 May 1945
  28 Tagoleta area closed 1 Jan 1945
  29 San Andrea closed 28 May 1945
  34 to No 126 MU as No 11 Park 6 Jul 1945
  35 to No 126 MU as No 12 Park 6 Jul 1945
  31 Senigallia disbanded 30 Jul 1945
  32 Forlimpopoli disbanded 30 Jul 1945

 

 


No 122 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 23 June 1941 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of No 203 Group at Khartoum.  It was redesignated No 122 Air Ammunition Park on 16 September 1941.

It reformed on 16 September 1941 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of AHQ Western Desert at No 101 MU, Helwan.  It relocated to Fayid on 29 May 1942, Ikingi-Mariut in November 1942, then Dhabir before moving to Lete on 26 December 1942.  Control was transferred to AHQ Egypt on 1 February 1942 and then to No 206 Group on 15 December 1944.  It disbanded on 15 March 1946.


No 123 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 6 June 1941 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of RAF Palestine & Transjordan at Aqir.  Its movements and location of its dumps/park are re shown below.  On 13 Jul 1944 it was transferred to HQ Balkan Air Force on disembarking at Taranto.  It was transferred to Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Forces on 1 Jul 1945 and disbanded on 12 September 1945.

Movements: -

Location Dates
Beit Meri 29 Dec 1941
Aqir 29 May 1942
Acre 3 Aug 1942
Haifa 5 Aug 1942
Baalbek (Syria) 18 Sep 1942
Nakiruya (Palestine) 14 Jul 1943
Acre 1 Sep 1943
St Jean 5 Oct 1943
Gaza 1 Nov 1943
No 22 PTC, Almaza 4 Jul 1944
Campomarino 22 Jul 1944
Termoli 1 Nov 1944

Dumps/Parks: -

Dump No Park No Location Dates
1 Main   Aqir 6 Jun 1941 - 1942
2   Gaza 6 Jun 1941 - 1942
3   Amman 6 Jun 1941 - 1942
?   Aleppo 18 Jun 1942 - xxxx
10   Nicosia 14 Jul 1943 - xxx 1943
11   Baalbek 14 Jul 1943 - xxx 1943
12   Aleppo 14 Jul 1943 - xxx 1943
13   Beirut 14 Jul 1943 - xxx 1943
'A'   Laverano 22 Jul  - 28 Aug 1944
'A'   Brindisi 28 Aug 1944
'A'   Biferno by 3 Oct 1944
'A'   Brindisi by 1 Nov 1944 - 13 Mar 1945
  1 Campomarino 1 Nov 1944
  3 Prkos 9 Apr 1945

No 124 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 August 1941 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of RAF Middle East at Helwan.  It was transferred from Middle East Command to North West African Air Forces on 15 September 1943 and disbanded on 30 March 1946.

Movements: -

Location Dates
Burg el Arab 5 Sep 1941
Wadi Nutrun xx Oct 1941
Fuka area xx Nov 1941
LG 100 xx Jul 1942
Mariut xx Aug 1942
Gambut xx Oct 1942
Ikingi-Mariut xx Nov 1942
Tobruk xx Dec 1942
18 km west of Tripoli 2 Feb 1943
Ben Gardane 9 Mar 1943
Enfidaville 16 May 1943
No 28 PTC, Hadera 27 Jun 1943
Masara xx Aug 1943
Kairouan 15 Sep 1943
Cerignola 4 Dec 1943
San Severo 29 Jan 1944
Ancona 1 Sep 1944
Osimo Stazione xx Jul 1945
Castel Foardo xx Nov 1945

Dumps/Parks: -

Dump No Park No Location Dates
3   Burg el Arab 17 Oct 1941
4   Burg el Arab 17 Oct 1941
?   Fuka xx Nov 1941
?   Daba xx Nov 1941
?   Maaten Bagush xx Nov 1941
  30 Zuara 9 Mar 1843
  31 Ben Gardane 9 Mar 1943
  32 Medinine 9 Mar 1943
  33 Gabes 9 Mar 1943
  34 Sfax 9 Mar 1943
  35 Msaken 9 Mar 1943
  38 Tunis area 4 Dec 1943
  1 Sub North of Foggia 29 Jan 1944
  2 Sub North of Cerignola 29 Jan 1944
  5 Caserta 1 Sep 1944
  1 Sub North of Foggia closed 1 Sep 1944
  4 Sub ? closed 1 Sep 1944
  'A' Det San Vito 17 Sep 1944 - xx Mar 1945

No 125 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 17 January 1942 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of No 214 Group at Basrah.  It transferred to the Middle East on 20 October 1943, joining No 218 Group on 15 April 1944, disbanding on 23 April 1945.

Movements: -

Location Dates
Habbaniya 25 Jan 1942
Kirkuk 10 Feb 1942
Habbaniya 30 Sep 1943
No 101 MU, Masara 26 Oct 1943
No 24 PTC, Aboukir 18 Mar 1944
Crescia, Corsica 1 May 1944
Caserta by 15 Jul 1944
Ramatuelle 26 Aug 1944
Bouc bel-Air, Southern France 1 Sep 1944
Shipped to Naples xx Oct 1944
Termoli 5 Mar 1945
Gragnano 2 Apr 1945

Dumps/Parks: -

Dump No Park No Location Dates
  1 Borgo xx Jul 1944
  2 Algehero xx Jul 1944
  3 Rocquebrune xx Aug 1944
  4 Ramatuelle xx Aug 1944
  1 renamed No 33 ASP, No 1 Park xx Sep 1944
  6 Lyons area 17 Sep 1944
  2 Borgo area by 1 Nov 1944
  3 Frjus by 1 Nov 1944
  4 Bouc bel-air by 1 Nov 1944
  4 Bouc bel-air disbanded 3 Nov 1944
  6 Lyons area disbanded 3 Nov 1944
  3 Frjus disbanded 2 Apr 1945
  5 Bouc bel-air disbanded 2 Apr 1945

No 126 Maintenance Unit

This was formed in the UK and departed on 9 November 1941, arriving at Zubair on 17 January 1942 via Basrah, as an explosives storage unit.  It was redesignated No 126 Maintenance Unit (Air Ammunition Park) on 3 August 1942 and became a mobile unit, its movements being shown in the table below.  During its existence it operated a number of Parks and these are shown in the second table.  Control was transferred to the Central Mediterranean Force under AHQ Desert Air Force on 2 July 1944.  It disbanded at Rivolto on 12 June 1947.

Movements: -

Location Dates
Kermanshah by October 1942
Hamadan by 1 Mar 1943
Abu Sultan 5 May 1943
San Vito area 13 Jul 1944
Aspio area 26 Jul 1944
Iesi area 7 Sep 1944
Pesaro 24 Sep 1944
Bellaria by 20 Nov 1944
Magliano 10 May 1945
Pagnacco 25 Jul 1945

Dumps/Parks: -

Park No Location Dates
1 near Sinello 26 Jul 1944
2 San Vito area 26 Jul 1944
3 Macerata 7 Aug 1944
4 Senigliano 20 Aug 1944
2 San Vito area closed 9 Sep 1944
4 Rimini area 24 Sep 1944
5 Mapref 30 Nov 1944
5 Forlimpopoli 3 Dec 1944
6 Cervia area 1 Jan 1945
4 redesignated No 31 Park, No 121 MU 11 Jan 1945
5 redesignated No 32 Park, No 121 MU 15 Feb 1945
7 Ravenna about 1 Mar 1945
4 Rimini area closed 15 Mar 1945
8 ? closed 19 Jun 1945
11 Pagnacco - ex No 35 Park, No 121 MU 25 Jul 1945
12 Pagnacco - ex No 36 Park, No 121 MU 25 Jul 1945
12 Klangenfurt 7 Aug 1945
9 Campoformido xx Jan 1946
10 Rivolto xx Jan 1946
13 Zeltweg xx Jan 1946
12 renamed Explosives Storage Section, Klangenfurt 11 Mar 1947

No 127 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 15 July 1942 as a Explosives under the control of AHQ Iraq at Zubair, initially attached to No 126 MU.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 October 1942.  By February 1945 it was operating a detachment at Habbaniya and disbanded on 1 May 1945.


No 128 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 25 April 1942 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of Middle East Command at Abu Sultan.  It disbanded on 1 October 1955.


No 129 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 4 (Middle East) Ammunition Depot on 1 September 1942 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of Middle East Command at Gaza.  It disbanded on 10 December 1944.


No 130 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 10 January 1944 as an Advanced Aircraft Depot under the control of No 206 Group at Group HQ, Heliopolis (with elements forming at No 103 and 106 MUs).  It disbanded on 29 February 1944.

It had reformed by May 1946 at Zemun, Belgrade, but no further details have been found, it's fate is unknown.


No 131 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 9 March 1942 as an Aircraft, engine and MT repair unit under the control of Aden Command at Khormaksar.  By October 1942 it comprised Aircraft Repair and General Engineering Sections and disbanded on 1 November 1945.

It reformed on 1 November 1958 under the control of Middle East Air Force at Khormaksar, disbanding on 31 August 1965.

Commanding Officers: -

 1 May 1961                Wg Cdr F G Dummer

21 Apr 1963                Wg Cdr J F B Stoner


No 132 Maintenance Unit

A Small Aircraft reception Party was formed on 20 September 1941 under the control of RAF Middle East at Kilo 8, which was redesignated No 132 MU as an Aircraft Storage Unit on 1 June 1942.  It relocated to LG219 from Gaza on 28 October 1942, but when it had arrived at Gaza is unknown.  Further moves followed, firstly to Helwan on 29 July 1943, El Firdan on 31 March 1945 and then Ismailia on 31 October 1945.  It disbanded on 15 October 1946.


No 133 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 2 April 1942 as an Aircraft Repair Depot under the control of RAF Middle East at Eastleigh, Nairobi.  By October 1942 it comprised Aircraft and Engine Repair and General Engineering Sections and disbanded on 15 December 1945.


No 134 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from Aircraft Repair Depot, Iraq on 24 March 1942 as an Aircraft Repair Depot under the control of AHQ Iraq at Habbaniya.  It disbanded on 1 May 1942.

It reformed on 1 May 1942 as a manufacturing centre for anti-tank mine containers under the control of AHQ Iraq at Ahwaz.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 October 1942 and it disbanded on 30 November 1942.

It reformed, once again, on 2 April 1943 as a major equipment repair unit under the control of AHQ Iraq at Habbaniya, disbanding on 10 February 1949.


No 135 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from the Aircraft Storage Unit, Luxor on 6 June 1942 as an Aircraft Storage Unit (Medium/Heavy Bombers) under the control of No 206 Group at Luxor.  It relocated to LG213 on 15 November 1942* and then to  LG237, the advance party arriving on 24 February 1943.  On 1 April 1943 it absorbed No 1 Aircraft Replacement Pool and at the same time was reorganised to handle explosives, aviation Fuels and lubricants.  It disbanded on 1 March 1947.

*One source states that it merged into No 108 MU here but the same sources doesn't show No 108 MU being at or having a detachment at LG213


No 136 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 1 (Middle East) Advanced Aircraft Depot on 25 May 1942 as an Advanced Aircraft Depot under the control of Middle East Command at Burg-El-Arab, being redesignated No 136 MU (Mobile Aircraft Depot) on 3 August 1942.  It disbanded at Aqir on 30 August 1942.

It reformed on 1 March 1943 as an Aircraft Repair and Salvage Unit at Berka Main probably under the control of AHQ Western Desert.  It was split up up on 24 August 1944 to form No 372 RSU, No 373 ASP and a static No 136 MU.  Control was transferred to No 206 Group on 15 December 1944 and it disbanded on 15 March 1946.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Detachment - El Adem 13 May 1944 - 4 Apr 1945

No 137 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 3 (Middle East) Advanced Aircraft Depot/Air Depot, Iraq on 25 May 1942 as a Maintenance Aircraft Depot under the control of No 218 Group at Ishkandariya.  It became No 137 Advanced Aircraft Depot and disbanded on 30 April 1943.

It reformed on 2 November 1943 as a Repair Depot under the control of AHQ Malta at Kalafrana, Malta.  It relocated to Safi in August 1946 and disbanded on 1 July 1955.


No 138 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from the Aircraft Factory, Teheran on 6 June 1942 as a Repair Depot (General Engineering) under the control of AHQ Iraq & Persia at Doshan Tappeh, near Teheran.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 October 1942 and it disbanded on 1 October 1945.


No 139 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from Aircraft Repair Depot, Khartoum on 6 June 1942 as an Aircraft Repair Depot under the control of RAF Middle East at Khartoum.  By October 1942 it comprised an Aircraft Repair, Engine Repair and General Engineering Sections.  It was reduced to number plate basis on 15 February 1943 and disbanded on 15 December 1945.


No 140 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 1 (Middle East) Ammunition Depot on 1 September 1942 as an Explosives and Petrol Holding Depot under the control of RAF Middle East at Khataba.  It disbanded on 31 July 1944.


No 141 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 3 (Middle East) Ammunition Depot on 1 September 1942 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of RAF Middle East at Qena.  Various moves followed began on 11 April 1943 when it arrived at No 22 PTC, Almaza in transit to Tripoli as an Advanced Ammunition and POL Depot.  Control was transferred to No 214 Group on 1 May 1943 and by 24 June it had arrived in Tripoli.  No 214 Group was transferred to NWAAF on 7 October 1943, taking No 141 MU with it.  On 2 November 1943 it moved across the Mediterranean to Caserta, with further moves to San Nicandro on 10 July 1944, Tressnti on 23 October 1944 and then Bitetto on 7 January 1946.  However by the time it disbanded on 29 June 1946, it appears to have returned to San Nicandro.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
No 3 Park - Misurata Jun 1943 - xxx xxxx
'A' Park - Montias, Taranto by 5 Dec 1943 - about 21 Apr 1944
'B' Park - Bari 21 Jan 1944 - about 21 Apr 1944
'C' Detachment - Tressanti by 15 Jul 1944 - xxx xxxx
'B' Park - Bari (detachments at Caserta and Scafati) Jul 1944 - xxx xxxx

No 142 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 5 (Middle East) Ammunition Depot on 1 September 1942 as an Explosives Holding Unit under the control of RAF Middle East at Acre and was redesignated No 142 MU on 25 September.  Various moves followed beginning with one to Naharia by 2 March 1943, back to Acre by 5 July, Caesar's Camp, Aleppo on 21 January 1944 and then back to Acre by December 1944, where it remained until 15 January 1946.  It returned to Naharia in early 1946 but relocated to Fort Agrund on 30 May, where it disbanded on 15 September 1946.


No 143 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 November 1942 as Equipment Depot, Malta under the control of AHQ Malta at Hamrun but was redesignated No  143 (Equipment) MU on 6 February 1943.  Control was transferred to NWAAF on 22 September 1943 and on 1 November it absorbed No 110 MU becoming an explosives and fuel storage unit.  It relocated to Kalafrana, with a detachment at Fort St Lucien on 8 April 1945 and disbanded on 30 April 1945.


No 144 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 106 Repair and Salvage Unit on 20 March 1943 as a Repair and Salvage unit under the control of Eastern Air Command at Maison Blanche, with a detachment at Catania, disbanding on 24 October 1943.

Officers Commanding: -

xx xxx xxxx                Gp Capt E H McDonald (KIA 14 Nov 1944)

It reformed on 25 October 1943 as a repair and overhaul centre for aircraft, engines and MT under the control of North West African Air Service Command at Maison Blanche.  The advance detachment at Catania became No 118 MU on 25 October 1943 and 'A' Detachment was formed at Elmas on 10 April 1945.  It was replaced No 1 French Technical Liaison Unit and disbanded on 31 December 1945.


No 145 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 19 March 1943 as an Aircraft Receipts & Acceptance unit, initially for Spitfire and Hurricanes, later being reclassified as a Single Engined Erection Depot, under the control of Eastern Air Command at Cazes Airport, Casablanca.  It was reduced to number plate basis on 25 March 1945 and disbanded to form No 3 French Technical Liaison Unit on 12 April 1945.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
'A' Detachment - Rabat Sale 16 Oct 1944 - xxx xxxx

No 146 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 27 May 1943 as an Air Ammunition Park under the control of North West African Air Forces at Hussein Dey.  It relocated to Sidi Tabet on 19 June 1943, Crescia on 14 June 1944 and then Draria on 27 October 1944.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 January 1944 and disbanded on 30 April 1945

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
No 101 Park - Sidi Tabet Jun 1944 - xxx xxxx
No 102 Park - Syracuse Jun 1944 - xxx xxxx

No 148 Maintenance Unit

This was formed as a MT Light Repair Unit under the control of BAFSEA but was redesignated No 18 MTLRU on 10 July 1945.


No 149 Maintenance Unit

This was formed as a MT Light Repair Unit under the control of BAFSEA but was redesignated No 19 MTLRU on 10 July 1945.


No 151 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from Engineering and Equipment Wings, Aircraft Depot Far East on 1 June 1941 as an aircraft and engine erection, repair and overhaul unit under the control of RAF Far East at Seletar.  It relocated to Java on 10 February 1942 and was ordered to disband on 16 February.  It was captured by the Japanese and was officially disbanded at Mingaladon with effect from 28 March 1942.


No 152 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 12 May 1941 as a Universal Equipment Depot under the control of RAF Far East at Bajit Panjang.  It never actually became operational and was officially disbanded at Mingladon with effect from 28 March 1942.


No 153 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 June 1941 as a Universal Equipment Depot under the control of RAF Far East at Singapore.  It relocated to Kuala Lumper (advance party 2 June) on 16 June 194, where it was captured by the Japanese, being officially disbanded at Mingaladon with effect from 28 March 1942.


No 154 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 28 July 1941 as a Temporary MU under the control of RAF Far East at Mingaladon, being redesignated No 154 MU on 26 June.  It relocated to Meiktila on 26 January 1942 and then Lashio on 12 March, where it disbanded on 16 June 1942.


No 155 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 7 (North Africa) Aircraft Repair Unit on 22 May 1943 as an Aircraft and engine repair unit under the control of North West African Air Forces at Setif.  It later became a Twin Engined Repair Depot with control being transferred to No 218 Group on 1 January 1944.  It disbanded on 31 March 1945.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
'A' Detachment - Elmas from 11 Mar 1945

No 156 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 6 (North Africa) Aircraft Repair Unit on 22 May 1943 as a Twin-Engined Aircraft Repair unit under the control of North West African Air Forces at Blida.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 January 1944.  It was replaced by No 2 French Technical Liaison Unit and disbanded on 10 January 1946. 

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Detachment - Sidi Ahmed xxx xxxx - Sep 1944
'A' Detachment - Setif 10 Apr 1945 - xxx xxxx

No 157 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 1 (Middle East) Aircraft Repair Unit on 11 May 1943 as an Aircraft Modification & Repair unit under the control of RAF Middle East at Helwan.  It disbanded into No 107 MU on 15 April 1944.


No 158 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 2 (Middle East) Aircraft Repair Unit on 11 May 1943 as an Aircraft Modification & Repair unit under the control of RAF Middle East at Helwan.  It disbanded into No 132 MU on 15 April 1944.


No 159 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 3 (Middle East) Aircraft Repair Unit on 11 May 1943 as an Aircraft repair unit under the control of No 214 Group at Mellaha.  It relocated to Gioia on 13 November 1943, Brindisi on 10 January 1944 and then Capodichino on 7 May 1944.  It disbanded on 15 November 1946.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
'A' Detachment - Montecorvino by 15 Jul 1944 - 13 Nov 1944
'B' Detachment - Fabrica by 15 Jul 1944 - Aug 1944
'C' Detachment - Campanelle by 15 Jul 1944 - Sep 1944
'B' Detachment - Castigilano 28 Aug 1944 - Jan 1945
'C' Detachment - Iesi 17 Sep 1944 - at least Jan 1946
'A' Detachment - Megara 13 Nov 1944 - 23 Dec 1944
'A' Detachment - Cattolica 24 Dec 1944 - May 1945
Detachment - Celone 5 Mar 1945 - at least Jan 1946
'A' Detachment - Riccione by 25 May 1945 - at least Jan 1946
Detachment - Brindisi 25 May 1945 - xxx xxxx
Detachment - Foggia 25 May 1945 - xxx xxxx

No 160 Maintenance Unit

This was planned to form from No 4 (Middle East) Aircraft Repair Unit on 5 September 1943 but only existed on a number plate basis

It reformed on 5 September 1943 as an Aircraft Engine Repair Depot under the control of AHQ Levant at Aqir and disbanded on 14 December 1947.


No 161 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 5 (Middle East) Aircraft Repair Unit on 11 May 1943 as an Aircraft repair unit under the control of Middle East Command at Fayid.  It renamed No 2 Transport Aircraft Repair Unit on 1 March 1944.


No 162 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 May 1943 in the UK as an Aircraft Storage Unit for service with HQ North West African Air Forces.  It disembarked and proceeded to Fort de L'Eau on 26 June 1943 to act as an ASU for twin-engined aircraft and Spitfires and Hurricanes.  It relocated to Hussein Dey, where it was attached to No 351 MU, on 16 July and ten to Setif on 3 August.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 January 1944 and it moved to Blida, leaving a detachment at Setif (until September), on 1 August 1944.  It disbanded on 10 August 1945.


No 163 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 8 July 1943 as an Aircraft Storage Unit under the control of North West African Air Forces at Ras-el-Ma.  It relocated to Oujda on 20 September 1943 and then Blida on 22 May 1944.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 January 1944 and it disbanded into No 162 MU on 14 July 1944.


No 164 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from Nos 133 & 134 Air Stores Parks on 16 June 1943 as an Advanced Universal Equipment Holding Unit under the control of North West African Air Forces at La Marsa.  It relocated to Tunis on 1 May 1944, where it disbanded on 1 July 1944.


No 165 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 6 (Middle East) Ammunition Depot on 1 July 1943 as a Explosives Holding Unit under the control of Middle East Command at Kajiado, with a satellite at Gilgil.  It was reduced to number plate basis on 15 June and absorbed into No 105 MU.


No 166 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 8 November 1943 as a Repair Depot for No 79 OTU under the control of AHQ Levant at Nicosia/Lakatamia.  It was absorbed into RAF Nicosia on 1 September 1945.

Sub-sites: -

Location Dates
Advanced Detachment - Paphos by 18 Jan 1944 - xxx xxxx
Detachment - Strovolos  Jan 1945 - Sep 1945

No 167 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 113 Repair and Salvage Unit on 15 September 1943 as a major repair centre for Wellingtons under the control of North West African Air Forces at Sidi Ahmed.  Control was transferred to No 218 Group on 1 January 1944 and it disbanded on 21 April 1944.


No 168 Maintenance Unit

This was formed from No 1 British Airways Repair Unit on 1 March 1944 as an Aircraft Repair Section under the control of No 206 Group at Heliopolis.  It disbanded on 31 October 1946.


No 176 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 1 November 1941 as an equipment supply centre for units in Sierra Leone and Gambia under the control of AHQ West Africa at Hastings, Sierra Leone.  It relocated to Kossoh Town by 1 September 1943 and disbanded on 1 September 1945, possibly at Jui.


No 177 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 30 June 1942 as an Aircraft Acceptance Unit (Fighters) under the control of AHQ West Africa at Apapa.  It disbanded in July 1943.


No 178 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 6 June 1943 as an Equipment Holding Unit under the control of AHQ West Africa at Takoradi to supply RAF and French units in the Gold Coast and Nigeria.  It disbanded on 15 September 1945, being replaced by No 386 MU.


No 179 Maintenance Unit

This was formed on 6 May 1943 as a repair and overhaul centre for aircraft, engines, marine craft and MT under the control of AHQ West Africa at Oshodi, Lagos.  It disbanded on 28 November 1943.


This page was last updated on 08/07/19

         [Top of Page]