Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation

Home Page

Main Menu

Quick Menu

Members' Area

What New?

About this site


Help Needed?



Sign Guest Book

View Guest Book

Link to Amazon

Online Store

Contact Me

Air Commodore A A N Nicholson (74684)

 Angus Archibald Norman       b: 8 Mar 1919             r: 11 Dec 1970            d: 1 Jun 2007

 CBE 10 Jun 1961, AE xx xxx 1945, FIMgt - 1980 (MBIM - 1967).

 Plt Off: 3 Oct 1939, Fg Off: 3 Oct 1940, Flt Lt (WS): 4 Dec 1942, (T) Sqn Ldr: 1 Jul 1945, Flt Lt: 26 Mar 1946 [1 Sep 1945], Sqn Ldr: 1 Aug 1947, Wg Cdr: 1 Jan 1953, Gp Capt: 1 Jul 1958, Act A/Cdre: 13 Dec 1965?, A/Cdre: 1 Jan 1966.

xx xxx 1938:          Member, Cambridge University Air Sqn.

xx xxx xxxx:           Sergeant Pilot (754338), RAFVR.

 3 Oct 1939:          Appointed to a Commission in the RAFVR.

xx xxx 1940:          Attended Blenheim Conversion Course, No 101 Sqn

 3 Jul 1940:            Pilot, No 139 Sqn

 1 Dec 1940:          Supernumerary, RAF Thorney Island

30 Dec 1940:         Pilot, No 84 Sqn.

27 Mar 1941:        Attached, HQ Eastern Wing - Larissa

xx xxx xxxx:          

26 Mar 1946:        Appointed to a Permanent Commission in the rank of Flight Lieutenant (retaining rank current at the time) [effective 1 Sep 1945 antedated to 1 Dec 1942 on 25 Feb 1947]

16 Mar 1956:        Wing Commander - Operations, HQ No 1 (Bomber) Group.

15 Oct 1958:

21 Feb 1962:        Officer Commanding, RAF Northolt.

19 Aug 1963:        Staff Officer, Department of the CAS.

 2 Sep 1964:         Deputy Director  of Air Staff Plans and Programmes.

13 Dec 1965:       Director of Defence Plans (Air).

xx xxx 1968:         Defence Adviser to British High Commissioner/Head, British Defence Liaison Staff, Canada.

He attended Eton College from 22 September 1932 until March 1938 from where he entered King's College, Cambridge.

On 6 February 1941, he ran into bad weather which damaged his aircraft, Blenheim I (L1393) forcing him to ditch in the sea.  His gunner was unfortunately killed in the landing but he and his observer managed to cling to their dinghy but despite his efforts, the observer drowned just over a hour later.  He drifted for two days but was fortunate in being  found by Greek fishermen on the 8th and was then feted by his saviours until his CO arrived to collect him in his car.

From 1971 to 1980, he was Deputy Secretary-General of the International Shipping Secretariat. 

Return to J M Nicholls                                        [Top of Page]                          K T Nicklin Forward to K T Nicklin