Air of Authority - A History of RAF Organisation
Text links are shown below
- Home Page -
- About this site -
- Quick Menu -
- Main Menu -
- Members' Area -
- What's New -
- Help Needed -
- Online Store -
- Reunions -
- Contact Me -
- Sign Guest Book -
- View Guest Book -
- Glossary -
- Bibliography -
at Kinloss to train general reconnaissance and Beaufighter crews on 31 July 1947
from No 6 OTU. Equipped with
Lancaster, Spitfires and Beaufighters, the Lancasters were replaced by Neptunes
and later Shackletons. On 1 October
1956 it was merged with No 1 MRS to form the Maritime Operational Training Unit.
by renaming MOTU at St Mawgan on 1 July 1970 to train Nimrod crews.
It disbanded on 1 October 1992 when it was renamed No 42 (Reserve) Sqn.
Motto: To Hunt and To Kill
Squadron designations: -
at Benson from No 8 OTU on 31 July 1947 as the Photographic Reconnaissance OCU,
equipped with Mosquito and Spitfire aircraft. It
was disbanded on 1 December 1951 at Bassingbourn by being merged with
at Honington on 1 March 1971 as the Buccaneer OCU.
It moved to Lossiemouth on 19 October 1984, where it disbanded on 1 October 1991,
its tasking being taken over by the Buccaneer Training Flight attached to No 208
Motto: Panache et Precision
Codes used: -
at Colerne to train night fighter radar operators on 15 June 1952, equipped with
Brigands and Balliols. These aircraft were eventually replaced by Meteors
and Valettas. It was disbanded at North Luffenham on 13 March 1958
Squadron designations: -
Formed at North Luffenham from No 1382 Transport Conversion Unit on 5 January 1948 to train transport crews (medium range). Initially equipped with Dakotas, it later used Valettas and Devons before being merged with No 241 OCU into No 242 OCU on 16 April 1951.
by renaming No 38 Group's Air Training Squadron
at Odiham on 29 December 1971. It was now responsible for the operational
training of all Support Helicopter crews using Wessex, Puma and Chinook
aircraft. It was disbanded by being renamed No 27 (Reserve) Squadron on 1
Motto: Train for Battle
Formed at Dishforth from No 1332 Heavy Transport Conversion Unit on 5 January 1948, equipped with Yorks and Halifaxes. It was disbanded by being merged into No 242 OCU (together with No 240 OCU) on 16 April 1951.
Reformed at Brize Norton to train crews for the Strategic
Transport Force on 1 July 1970. It did not have aircraft of its own but
borrowed them from the units based at Brize Norton. It was disbanded by
being renamed No 55 (Reserve) Squadron on 1 October 1993.
Motto: Teach Well
Formed by merging No's 240 and 241 OCUs on 16 April 1951. It was responsible for training all transport crews, but relinquished the training of strategic crews in 1970 when No 241 OCU was reformed, after which it became purely the Hercules OCU. It was disbanded by being renamed No 57 (Reserve) Squadron on 1 July 1992.
Motto: Hic Bene Docti Ubique Volant
Hic Bene Docti Ubique Volant
© Crown Copyright is reproduced with the permission of the Controller of Her Majesty’s Stationery Office
Back to Organisational Index